- All 14 of the Greek airports Fraport manages had outdated lighting systems that weren’t compliant with the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) regulations. And this needed fixing – fast.
- This meant new mast positions and heights for all 14 airports needed to be planned, taking into account:
- OLS (Obstacle Limitation Surfaces) restrictions.
- Wingtip clearance for various types of aircraft.
- Keeping civil works needed for new cabling as low as possible.
Working with Intrakt, Fraport’s main contractor, we designed and delivered a completely new, compliant lighting system for each airport. Using our Titan 560 lighting, which was the perfect match between power and weight, meant:
- Increased high colour rendering led to improved safety.
- Shadow areas between planes were reduced through the new tower positioning. This guaranteed a better working environment for ground staff.
- Energy use could be cut – by 55% on average.
- And lower maintenance costs thanks to the Titan 560’s stainless steel construction
– especially important where an airport is near the sea which can cause issues with salinity.
Number of airports:
Variable: 12m to 40m
LED floodlights installed:
Lux average values:
55% on average
LED floodlights installed
Number of airports
“From a technical perspective we are very happy with the support, service and solution provided by Midstream Lighting. The lighting solution has been a real upgrade for each of the airports Fraport-Greece has completed so far and we are excited see the final upgrades done later this year”
Chief Technical Officer, Fraport Greece
“The Midstream Lighting solution and service was as good as it gets. The speed and quality of their work from day 1 was exactly what we needed, from completing the lighting designs for every airport in such a short space of time right through to delivery, and of course the quality of the lighting solution. This project was a huge success and they played an extremely important part of it”
Mechanical Engineer, INTRAKAT
Product used for Fraport AG: Titan Series
- A highly asymmetric floodlight providing an excellent solution for low glare applications.
- Our propriety optics deliver maximum light levels on designated areas.
- It’s designed for maximum heat management.
- And it’s manufactured to survive the harshest of environments, whilst delivering high performance and long life.
- Which in total makes it the go-to product for many of our aviation and maritime clients for years.
The 14 airports:
Aktion National Airport, Cephalonia Airport, Chania Airport, Corfu Airport, Kavala Airport, Kos Island Airport, Mykonos Airport, Mytilene Airport, Rhodes Airport, Samos Airport, Santorini Airport, Skiathos Airport, Thessaloniki Airport, Zakynthos Airport.
want to know more?
All the fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.